Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tuesday: Day 1 – The Big Apple

                I took an early start to the long day, 5 is when I woke up but not once did I feel fatigued until my head hit my pillow at 11:30 at night. If every day was eventful, educational, and fun as the day I’m in for a life changing week! We start off with a five hour drive but it only seemed like two. Laughs were swapped and excitement stirred. The trip was luxurious, so to say. Our next stop was Apollo Theater, an incredible place! My peers got to stand on center stage where legends have stood many years before. The wall with all the signatures was amazing! My friend and I took a picture with the replica of the tree of hope, which is really just a stump. Performers rub this stump for good luck. Our speaker Billy Mitchell was an inspirational person. He told us all about the people he had met during his many years at Apollo Theater, which he had started working at when he was very young. It was lucky for us that he was there at all, considering he had just suffered the loss of his sister. But, having a strong devotion to the arts Billy pulled through and was there at our presentation. For me, the most amazing part of the day was on the bus on our way back from Katz’s Deli. I looked up from my book, and found I couldn’t look back down. Times Square, dazzling, mesmerizing, and breath taking. The lights against the dark sky were illuminating. Bill boards and posters filled the streets with advertisements. It looked just like it does in movies and pictures. Truly magical! A city that never sleeps; the lights shine to bright!

- Emily and Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment